Hello my friends, family, and acquaintances,
It has surely been a while since I have posted anything on my blog. The reason for being M.I.A. in the blogger world? Well, there really is not a good reason.
In some odd way, I guess you can say that I had so much to post about- with the world becoming more chaotic everyday, and the many changes I have been going through, I just wanted to take it all in before putting it into words.
So let us catch up!
I'll start with the world news.
Well, what can I say? All I can do is pout with a heavy heart and disbelief in the world we live in. The Middle East, once again is in shambles. People are dying everyday by the hundreds and not a thing is being done to stop it. In 2003, we went to war with Iraq under the header 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' using many resources, American lives, and many years for this heroic humanitarian mission (I hope you sense my sarcasm). Well where are we now? We were so quick to jump into war for "Iraqi freedom" but what about now? What about Syrian freedom? Or Libyan freedom? Or Palestinian freedom? Are we only willing to fight for freedom when we have something to gain from it? This my friends is called realpolitik.
Moving on now to career and education.
Well let's see, since I've been in Ohio I have interned at Congressman Kucinich's office, worked at a refugee resettlement agency, and now I currently substitute teach for the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and I love it! Actually, I loved every single thing I listed.
When I interned at Congressman Kucinich's office I really thought as an intern all I would be doing is making coffee and I was totally okay with that as long as I can be around! But from the first day I started I was actually doing real work! I do not know if I can put into words how much interning at the Congressman's office opened my eyes and changed my perspectives of politicians. At Congressman Kucinich's office we really helped the constituents. Whether it was someone losing their home or some wacky person calling about a weather machine controlled by the C.I.A. we gave them our attention and guided them to where they needed. All of the congressional staff were marvelous! The amount of respect and regard they gave me was phenomenal. They were all so down to earth and patient with me! When my brother-in-law passed away they all individually came up to me and comforted me. Congressman Kucinich really did care about the people- no matter who they were. Every person on his congressional staff were people who knew and trusted years before he became a congressman. Being there gave me hope that the world did have people in power who weren't evil and uncaring for people. It is a shame that we have lost a man like Congressman Dennis Kucinich in our government. I do not know how anyone wouldn't vote for him. He truly is a noble leader.
At the refugee resettlement agency, the International Services Center, I worked as the ESOL Volunteer/Program Coordinator. It was such a wonderfully humbling experience that I am not sure I could have gained from anywhere else. All I ever want to do in life is make a difference in someone else's life and working at ISC gave me the opportunity to do that with refugees from all over the world. Though we came from different places and spoke many different languages, I grew to love all of them and regard them as my family. When I left the agency, I did not tell my refugees that I was leaving because I did not want them to put together a farewell party for me but they insisted that I come back the next day. I left with flowers, dessert, gifts, and such kind words from all of them. I will never forget the impact they had on me. I am grateful for them making me a better person.
Currently, I work as a substitute teacher for the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and I love it! I get to meet different people everyday and make the decision on whether or not I want to work that day. It is a great experience in preparation for me getting my masters in history education.
Do you like how I slipped that in? Yes, I will be going for my masters inshAllah. Teaching has always come naturally to me. I have a ton of patience and a way of explaining things to people who may not understand. I look forward to this next chapter in my life but it will be hard to be away for a year from my dear husband! Yes, I will be in NC pursuing my masters degree at East Carolina University inshAllah. It will just be one year and absence makes the heart grow fonder. :)
Of course, it will be hard but the outcome will be well worth it inshAllah.
Alright, so now you are all caught up. Hopefully I will get my lazy butt to start blogging more often!
Faten Husni Odeh
NoSeYintellectuals2010
Hey Faten! Thanks for posting a link to your blog. It's a great way to keep up with where you are in life, especially now that you'll be leaving this great state of Ohio. (hah.) but in all seriousness, congrats on going for your masters! That's already quite an accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteAlso sad about Kucinich. And basically every other good candidate who lost in the election this time (which was a majority of them)
And your paragraph about Iraq vs. Syria, etc. reminded me of a realllllly good insightful book called 'overthrow'. You might like it, considering your a poli sci major!
I'll defs make it a point to keep reading your blog so keep updating :)